Beautiful & Healthy Eyes
Have you ever heard of the saying, “your eyes are the windows to your soul”? Well, it’s true, our eyes show how we have lived our lives and are usually the first to show aging. Little fine lines at the corners of our eyes, puffiness and dark circles all can be contributed to a variety of things, including aging, diet, self-care and environmental factors.
Did you know that the skin around your eyes is the thinnest and most delicate of all your skin? Not only is this skin about 1/9th the thickness of the rest of your skin, it also has the fewest oil glands. This means that not only is the skin around your eyes delicate, it is not able to keep itself properly moisturized. Since this delicate area is usually the first place to show aging, proper care of your eyes should be a priority in your daily life. Here are a few tips to help keep your eyes bright and healthy:
- Hydration and Moisture. Hydrated skin is plump skin. Increasing your water intake and keeping the area moisturized will help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Proper rest is a fundamental building block for all functions of your body – including your skin. While you are at rest, the body takes this opportunity to repair and rejuvenate itself. According to WebMD, “during the night the skin goes into restore and repair mode, meaning it removes toxins, repairs cell and DNA damage caused by the environment, replaces aging cells and creates new ones”. Additionally, during sleep the body releases human growth hormone, a necessary ingredient for collagen production – the protein that gives you glowing, plump skin. Also, skipping sleep raises cortisol levels, which can interfere with collagen production. It is important to get a good night’s rest, preferably 7-8 hours, to allow your skin the opportunity to restore itself. Besides, we all know that if we skimp on sleep, the first place it shows is around our eyes!
- In this busy world, it is sometime difficult to have time to maintain a healthy diet. The food we put into our bodies has a direct correlation to our outward appearance. Make sure to include foods that are rich in Vitamin C, Selenium (like whole-grain barley), Omega-3 fatty acids and lean proteins. These types of foods will help prevent free radical damage, build collagen, reduce inflammation and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Remove Your Makeup. This means every day!! No matter how tired we are, proper skin care before bed is paramount to healthy skin.
- Wear Sunscreen and Sunglasses. UVA/UVB rays are one of the skin’s worst enemies. Not only can it cause skin cancer and premature aging, it damages the skin’s matrix or structure causing fine lines and wrinkles. Additionally, wearing sunglasses will help prevent squinting, which we all now that in time, this repetitive motion will cause those lovely lines call “crow’s feet”.
It has been mentioned, but let’s circle back and talk a little about skin care. Proper skin care is important, especially around the eyes. Think about it. Most days we apply multiple layers of makeup that are pushed deeper in the skin every time we rub our eyes. Mix that with pollution, UVA/UVB rays and other environmental factors and we have damage waiting to happen. Morning and night, you should cleanse your skin with a gentle, yet effective cleanser that will remove makeup, dirt and grime, high priority CLEANSING FOAM. Once cleansed, you need to apply an eye gel or cream that contains nutrients and protection for the delicate eye area. High eye-Q EYE GEL is an amazing, nutrient-packed gel that will provide your eye area everything it will need to keep healthy. With ingredients such as aloe vera, cucumber extract, hempseed oil, green tea and sodium hyaluronate, high eye-Q EYE GEL will smooth fine lines and wrinkles, reduce puffiness, hydrate and brighten dark circles. Additionally, high eye-Q EYE GEL contains our hero ingredient – hempseed oil. This nutrient-dense, vitamin-packed oil is rich in essential fatty acids which bring moisture and builds elasticity in the skin by lubricating beneath the surface of the skin, locking in moisture. A little tip for you – high eye-Q EYE GEL makes a great primer for eye makeup and it will hydrate you lips!
Remember aging is a fact of life, but with proper care, nutrition, hydration and a little extra sleep, our eyes can maintain a healthy, vibrant appearance!